Sony Alpha NEX-5T – Product Highlights
- 16.1MP APS-C Exmor APS HD CMOS Sensor
- BIONZ Image Processor
- 3.0″ 921.6k-Dot Tilting Touchscreen LCD
- Full HD 1080i/p Video at 60 or 24 fps
- Fast Hybrid AF
- Built-In Wi-Fi and NFC Connectivity
- Continuous Shooting Rate of 10 fps
- ISO 100-25600
- Auto Object Framing and Auto HDR Modes
- Sony 16-50mm f/3.5-5.6 OSS Zoom Lens
The Sony Alpha NEX-5T Mirrorless Digital Camera is a versatile and compact mirrorless camera that features a 16.1 megapixel APS-C-sized Exmor APS HD CMOS sensor and BIONZ image processor to produce high resolution still images and full HD 1080i/p video in multiple frame rates with marked low-light quality and sensitivity to ISO 25600. The image processor also contributes greatly to minimizing overall noise levels and also affords a wealth of speed throughout the camera for recording up to 10 fps in Speed Priority Continuous mode.
This imaging performance is greatly benefited by the inclusion of a Fast Hybrid AF system that combines the best assets of both phase- and contrast-detection focusing methods for focus performance that is equally fast and precise. The phase-detection method is ideal for quickly acquiring focus and tracking moving subjects while the contrast-detection method ensures critical sharpness and detail.
To support live view monitoring, image playback, and menu navigation, a 3.0″ 921.6k-dot touchscreen LCD monitor is integrated into the NEX-5T and utilizes a tilting design to better serve working from both high and low viewing angles. The touchscreen interface helps to more easily facilitate working with an intuitive menu structure to access a host of camera features, including Picture Effects, Auto HDR mode, Auto Object Framing, and for connecting to mobile devices using built-in Wi-Fi and NFC connectivity.
Included with the camera body is a Sony E-mount 16-50mm f/3.5-5.6 OSS Retractable Zoom Lens, which provides a 35mm-equivalent focal length range of 24-75mm. This range of perspectives is well-suited to everyday shooting and is further enhanced through the inclusion of Optical SteadyShot image stabilization for minimizing the appearance of camera shake. Power Zoom technology allows for electronic control over the zoom position and the inclusion of one extra-low dispersion element and four aspherical elements helps to reduce chromatic aberrations throughout the zoom range as well as contribute to high overall sharpness.
- 16.1MP Exmor APS HD CMOS Sensor and BIONZ Image Processor
- The 16.1MP APS-C-sized Exmor APS HD CMOS sensor and BIONZ image processor work together to produce high resolution, well-detailed imagery with minimal noise and notable low-light quality and sensitivity from ISO 100-25600. The adaptive noise reduction technology is the same that is used in Sony’s flagship DSLR, which works to intelligently reduce noise at higher sensitivities. The processor also contributes to providing a wealth of speed throughout the camera system, including a top continuous shooting rate of 10 fps and full HD 1080i/p video recording in multiple frame rates.
- Fast Hybrid AF
- Fast Hybrid AF combines both phase- and contrast-detection focusing methods to provide autofocus that is both fast and highly accurate. The phase-detection method utilizes 99 points to quickly acquire and maintain focus on any subject while the contrast-detection system employs 25 points to refine and ensure critical sharpness. This system can function in both a single-shot or continuous method or, alternatively, DMF (Direct Manual Focus) can be used to automatically acquire general focus that can then be refined manually.
- Full HD Video Recording
- Full HD 1080i/p video recording is supported at both 60 and 24 fps frame rates to produce high resolution movies with a smooth, cinematic look. Videos are recorded using the high-quality AVCHD codec and a built-in stereo microphone records sound in the Dolby Digital AC-3 format. Additionally, 1440 x 1080p and 640 x 480p at 30 fps formats are also supported in the Internet-friendly MP4 format.
- Built-In Wi-Fi and NFC Connectivity
- Built-in Wi-Fi connectivity enables the NEX-5T to instantly share imagery to mobile devices for direct sharing online to social networking, via email, and to cloud storage sites. NFC (Near Field Communication) is also supported, which allows for one-touch connection between the camera and compatible mobile devices; no complex set-up is required. This technology also provides the ability to use Smart Remote Control, which provides for remote shutter release that is controlled by a smart device. Additionally, PlayMemories camera apps are available for personalization and greater control over select camera functions, including different shooting styles and methods of sharing imagery from the camera.
- Tilting Touchscreen LCD Monitor
- For live view monitoring, image playback and review, and menu navigation, a 3.0″ 921.6k-dot touchscreen LCD monitor is integrated into the camera body and features a tilting design to promote easier use from high and low angles. The screen can tilt 180° upward and approximately 50° downward, giving a wide range of viewing angles. The touchscreen design gives way to an intuitive method for navigating camera features and settings and for controlling image playback.
- Sony 16-50mm f/3.5-5.6 OSS Retractable Zoom Lens
- The included 16-50mm f/3.5-5.6 OSS Retractable Zoom Lens provides a 35mm-equivalent focal length range of 24-75mm, covering wide-angle to portrait-length perspectives to suit working in a wide variety of situations. It features Optical SteadyShot image stabilization to help minimize the appearance of camera shake by up to four shutter speed steps to greatly benefit working in low-light conditions and with greater zoom magnifications. One extra-low dispersion element and four aspherical elements are integrated into the optical construction to help reduce chromatic aberrations as well as increase clarity, sharpness, and contrast and the Power Zoom electronically-driven zoom mechanism brings greater efficiency to controlling the zoom position of the lens.
- Other Camera Features
- Auto Object Framing is an intelligent shooting mode that can automatically analyze the scene and subjects within it and determine an aesthetically-pleasing composition. The subsequent imagery will be cropped according to subject matter, resulting in a well-balanced composition that utilizes Face Detection and Tracking Focus to ensure high image quality and sharpness.
- Auto HDR mode will automatically record a bracketed range of exposures of the same scene in order to capture greater highlight and shadow detail than a single exposure can record. These multiple exposures will then be composited into a single file that exhibits an extended dynamic range.
- Face Detection/Registration technology can detect and register up to eight individual faces and adjust the focus, exposure, white balance, and flash settings in order to deliver optimal image settings for pictures of people. Children or adults can be prioritized within this mode.
- Picture Effect modes allow you to apply creative settings and emphasize certain facets of individual images for a richer, more aesthetic picture quality. Posterization (Color/B&W), Pop Color, Retro Photo, Partial Color (R/G/B/Y), High Contrast Mono, Toy Camera, Soft High-Key, Soft Focus, HDR Painting, Rich-Tone Mono, and Miniature modes are available.
- Clear Image Zoom can be used to magnify the center of scenes by 2x to effectively extend the reach of any focal length lens. This digital zoom technology uses an intelligent interpolation process to minimize the amount of image degradation in order to produce realistic, high-quality images.
- Creative Style settings provide control over how the camera processes images based on six different predetermined styles: Standard, Vivid, Portrait, Landscape, Sunset, and B&W. Within these settings, contrast, saturation, and sharpness can also be adjusted depending on personal preference.
- Sweep Panorama technology allows you to automatically capture wide, expansive panoramic images, up to 202°, by simply panning about the scene. Images can be made in either vertical or horizontal orientation and the camera will intelligently stitch together the consecutive images into one file up to 23MP in size.
- Dynamic Range Optimizer (DRO) works to improve images featuring backlit subjects or scenes with high contrast where details can be lost in the shadows or highlights. This mode can be controlled automatically or fine-tuned using five settings.
- The Photo Creativity Touch Interface provides a wealth of controls for modifying the look of imagery in-camera. Changes can be made using the intuitive control dial and results are seen in real time on the LCD monitor. Background Defocus, Brightness, Color, Vividness, and most Picture Effects can be manipulated in this manner.
- The Multi-Interface Smart Accessory 2 Terminal enables the attachment of accessories, including external flashes.
- The Sony E-mount affords compatibility with an extensive number of lenses and lens adapters.
- Convenient USB charging allows you to charge the included lithium-ion battery in-camera via USB connection from either an AC outlet or PC source.
- The Stamina battery power allows up to approximately 330 shots to be taken on a single charge. The InfoLITHIUM batteries also enable you to see the remaining percentage of battery power left.